- Students simply have to show the most school spirit to win a free
concert from a popular artist(s) on your play-list. They show spirit
by sending in a video of what they have been doing to create school
spirit for the upcoming year. You can post the videos on your
station website, and listeners get to vote.
- Have schools collect pennies for a chance to win a free concert at
their school by a popular artist on your play-list. The school that
raises the most money wins the Grand Prize and all the money goes to
a local charity.
- Send the morning show and/or a personality to a local elementary
school to serve as a crossing guard on the first day. Bring along a
recorder to get comments from kids and parents on the first day
4. Back To
- Great one for the sales department. They offer client(s) a chance
to purchase the official WADG Back To School Headquarters package
which includes: On location broadcast just before school starts with
the morning show or personality, prizes, contests, etc. Plus,
everyone will be encouraged to visit the location and register to
win a Back To School Grand Prize (limo on the first day, tickets to
a big concert, school supplies for a year, etc.)
- Hold this event at a mall, or other high traffic area. The fair
includes the latest fall fashions, coolest Smart Phones or tablets
for this school year, SAT tutorial information, etc. Great NTR (non
traditional revenue) event..
- This is a great one for the radio station and a big retailer. Have
kids apply to be on the Youth Board, which will give them special
perks from the station and/or retail partner. The Youth Board meets
once per month to offer their opinions on fashion, music, and
problem solving etc.
7. First Car
- Feature a page/area on your website that features the coolest,
most affordable new/used cars for soon-to-be (or just turned old
enough) drivers. You could even hold an auction at the school for
8. Home Team
- Give parents and students a chance to win football tickets to see
a popular college team in your area. Listeners can register to win
at a client location, register online or win them by playing the
station College Quiz, which asks high school students college level
questions that they must answer correctly to win.
- Your campus caravan visits local high school and college campuses
each week with free prizes, samples from clients, and more! Be sure
to take along a recorder to get some drops for station image promos.
- Offer a free 3-week course in radio to your listeners/students.
Limit registration, alternate teachers per week, the GM, then the
PD, the Sales Manager, etc. Hold classes at the station.
11. Back To
School Double Play For Your First Day
- Listeners hear two songs played back-to-back by the same artist to
call in and win a station backpack filled with school supplies,
discount coupons and free music.
- Listeners activate their name at a retail outlet or mall, and/or
on air. Grand prize is a chauffeur-driven ride on the first day of
school in a limousine, station van, or some other novelty
vehicle...plus a new Back-to-School wardrobe and something for your
winner to give students at the school... sandwich coupons, station
pens, or perhaps pizzas delivered to the lunchroom, compliments of
your winning student (with the permission of the principal).
- Hold a "Field Trip" for adults only as a back to school promotion.
Take (frequency) listeners to dinner, on dinner cruise, the theater,
14. Back To
- Create a pep rally style event at a local mall, theme park and/or
club to send students back to school. Have a new and/or local
artist(s) performing live and give all who attend a chance to
receive an autograph or photo with the star(s). Have a fashion show
with the latest fall trends, local cheerleading teams, high school
bands, and lots of interactive activities (great client tie-in).
Back-To-School Celebration Nation
- Contact local schools for permission to visit their grounds the
week classes resume to hand- out station pencils, t-shirts, etc. As
a real treat, you could also arrange to have your morning show help
serve lunch in the cafeteria.
- Contact a local high school in one of your hot zips and set it up
to do their "Home Room Announcements" LIVE on the air. Try to do it
with a twist, come up with a custom song having to do with the
school, have the voice of a celebrity on with you, or have an artist
you play on your station re-do a verse from one of their songs
especially for the school. You can also line this up with several
schools and simply do a welcome announcement instead of a customized
- Have teachers/professors at the station each night
(Monday-Thursday) between 6pm and 8pm helping students on the "WADG
Homework Hotline" (business line or a studio line you set up). This
could also work as a chat or message board on your website.
- Collect school supplies for needy children. Listeners may bring
new or unused supplies to various collection sites and receive
discount coupons on the purchase of their Back-To-School gear from
19. Back To
School Check List
- Hand out a Station Back-To-School checklist at participating
client locations or make it available to print out on your website.
The list itemizes everything needed for the new school year. Include
station and/or contest information along with client coupons that
may be used for their purchases.
- A great premium item to sell, offer as a gift with purchase or
simply giveaway. Display your hottest artists, station logo and
client ads...or have lots of discount and/or free gift coupons
Brian is a 30 year radio veteran
who has successfully served many companies over the years as Program
Director, Operations Manger and VP of programming. After many years
of success working for individual radio stations and clusters, Brian
Joined one of the most trusted consulting firms in the country,
Audience Development Group. For the last 15 years Wright has enjoyed
building alliances with scores of stations in the US & Canada
helping them grow in ratings and revenue. Contact Brian at